Baked Ziti with Spinach
- 4 oz dry whole wheat ziti (or penne) pasta
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 (10-oz.) bag raw spinach
- 1½ cups whole peeled tomatoes (like San Marzano or Cento) crushed or pureed in blender or food processor.
- ¼ cup finely chopped basil leaves
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¾ cup part-skim Mozzarella cheese divided use
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375º F.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
Add spinach, tomatoes, and basil. Season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes.
Combine spinach mixture, pasta, red pepper flakes (if desired), ½ cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and ricotta cheese in a large bowl; mix well.
Place in a 2½ to 3-quart casserole that is lightly coated with spray. Bake, covered with aluminum foil, for 35 minutes. Remove foil.
Top evenly with remaining ¼ cup mozzarella cheese. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Courtesy of BeachBody On Demand